Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Proposal

Couple days ago mom called….. The conversation goes as follows
“Hey son how are you doing?”

“Fine mom, extremely busy, lot of work and I don’t have time to breathe”

Now the kicker…..

“Dad got a call from this friend of a friend of a friends’ uncle who has two daughters….”

I usually have a sixth sense for these things, and I guess you don’t need much of an intuition to figure out what was coming…. So anyway I start to scream, and mom tells me to calm down and listen so I do

“One of the daughters is a doctor, and they asked about you, and if they can get you to talk to the girl.”

So as with other such conversations I go

“Mom, I am only 27, and I am still doing my MBA, can’t this shit wait? I don’t wanna think about it now. Besides I don’t think I the parents will be too cool with me trying to start my own thing. I guess we can wait a couple years”

This has happened before about a year and a half back, similar situation, and I had to vehemently oppose, on the grounds that I am planning on going back to school and I can’t think about this shit now. I guess its one of those things which is going to happen more frequently from now on, with the receding hairline and all. Indian parents somehow see this as a big problem; the argument being the less hair you have less is the choices. It almost seems like this whole marriage thing is a huge business of some sort, where the asset (the boy) depreciates over time. Since the present value of the asset is higher, the younger the asset, it seems only natural that you should get the asset married as soon as possible. Now another variable in this equation is about how damaged the asset is, here is where the receding hairline plays a part, so now with receding hairline the asset is automatically discounted at a higher rate. The business it seems is fool proof, parents have it figured, and the only problem is the assets who have to put up with each other for the rest of their lives……

Anyway jokes aside, this whole thing did get me thinking whether it was time to call it quits, I mean call the freedom quits. Is it time to just bite the bullet and enter the dragon if you may? Hmmm food for thought I guess. My thought process goes like this; I have a huge loan, so the higher the earnings of the fellow “asset” the better it is cause we can pay off my loans KIDDING!!!!

Hope mom doesn’t read this Blog……

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ****.. getting hitched, eh?
:)

Be sure to call us. Are the 'daughters' pretty? Are you marrying one or both of them? :)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm well havent looked at them yet ;)

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home